It is no secret that motorcycles can be dangerous. For many people, this is part of the appeal. But, motorcycle accidents can be much more dangerous than other motor vehicle accidents. As a result, it is important to know how motorcycle accidents are caused, how to avoid them, and what to do in the event of an injury. Read on to learn more about motorcycle injuries in Santa Clara County.
California Helmet Laws
The state of California requires that all motorcyclists wear a helmet at all times while riding. Because motorcycle accidents are common and can result in serious injury, it is important to follow the law and always wear a helmet.
Causes of Accidents
A motorcycle accident can occur anywhere at any time. But, it is important to know the most common causes of accidents so you know what to avoid. Motorcycle accidents commonly occur as a result of:
- Dangerous weather conditions
- Reckless driving
- Other drivers who are inattentive
- Poor visibility
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Texting while driving
- Hazardous road conditions
What do I do if I am Involved in an Accident?
If you are involved in a motorcycle accident, there are a few important steps you will need to take.
- Call 911. In the event of an accident, it is important to contact the police. They will take witness statements, conduct chemical tests, and call you an ambulance.
- If possible, document the scene. You will want to take photos and videos of the damage done to all vehicles involved, as well as any conditions that may have contributed to the accident. Additionally, it is important to collect the contact information of anyone who witnessed the accident, as they may be able to corroborate your story.
- Go to the hospital. Even if you do not feel like you have been injured, it is important to get checked out anyway. In some cases, you may have sustained an injury without being aware, or you have an injury that will not show symptoms until later one. At the hospital, make sure to ask your doctor to provide you with all medical documents.
- Contact a skilled personal injury attorney. In the event of an accident, you may be entitled to recover compensation. Reach out to an experienced Santa Clara County personal injury attorney to discuss your case.
If you or a loved one is injured in a motorcycle accident in California, contact our firm to speak with a dedicated attorney. We want to help you fight to recover the compensation you deserve.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
When someone is wrongly injured in an accident, they often require financial compensation to heal. That’s where we come in. Contact the Law Offices of Brian J. O’Grady today to learn more about what our firm can do for you.