We drive almost every day. Cars are usually how we run errands, socialize, and travel. Unfortunately, car accidents are a common occurrence. With so many people on the roads, at all times of the day, and all weather conditions, accidents are bound to occur. As a result, it is important to know what to do in the event of a car accident. Read on for more information about vehicle accidents in California.
What are the Most Common Causes of Car Accidents?
Though car accidents happen for many reasons, including poor weather conditions, defective or negligently designed roads, and more, they are most commonly caused by driver negligence. Some of the most prominent types of driver negligence we see on the road today include:
- Making illegal turns
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving while fatigued
- Texting and driving
- Carelessly changing lanes
- Otherwise driving recklessly by ignoring traffic lights, signs, and all other rules of the road
What Should I do if I am Involved in a Car Accident?
If you are involved in a car accident, there are a few important steps to take:
- Call 911. It is important for the police to come to the scene for a variety of reasons. The police can help keep the roads safe by directing traffic around the accident. In addition to this, they can draft an official report, take statements from witnesses, and conduct chemical tests.
- Seek medical attention. You may not feel like you need to go to the hospital, but you should seek medical attention regardless.
- Gather evidence. You should collect photos and videos of the scene of the accident. You may take photos of the damage to your cars, as well as the conditions of the road and weather.
- Contact a skilled personal injury attorney. An experienced attorney will fight for you to recover the compensation you deserve.
How Long do I Have to File a Claim?
For the most part, in California, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is two years. This means that if you fail to file within two years of your accident, you will most likely lose your chance to recover compensation. As a result, it is important to contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
If you or a loved one is involved in a car accident, reach out to our firm today. We want to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
When someone is wrongly injured in an accident, they often require financial compensation to heal. That’s where we come in. Contact the Law Offices of Brian J. O’Grady today to learn more about what our firm can do for you.