Santa Clara County Drunk Driving Accident Attorney

Santa Clara County Drunk Driving Accident Attorney

Drunk Driving Accident Attorney in Mountain View, California

There are few things worse than driving along, obeying the rules of the road, only to find yourself involved in a collision with a drunk driver. Of course, though everybody knows that drunk driving is both illegal and downright unsafe, this does not stop various motorists throughout the state of California from doing so. The bottom line is that if you have been injured in an accident with a drunk driver, you are most likely now seeking financial compensation to help cover the cost of your medical bills, in-home care, lost wages, and more. The Law Offices of Brian J. O’Grady has been helping victims of drunk driving get their lives back on track for over 40 years, and we are ready to do the same for you. If you are ready to begin the claims process, please continue reading and contact The Law Offices of Brian J. O’Grady today.

After A Drunk Driving Accident

If you are injured by a drunk driver, as long as you are still physically capable, you should take several steps to maximize your chances of winning a future personal injury claim. Those steps are as follows:

  1. Call the police. They will document the incident and send medical services to the scene.
  2. While you await their arrival, ask anyone who witnessed the accident for their name, phone number, and email.
  3. Take pictures of the scene of the accident, including any damage to your vehicle, the other motorist’s vehicle, or any property involved.
  4. After receiving medical treatment, ensure you ask your doctor for all documentation concerning your injuries.

Oftentimes, these accidents are far more complex, as there is frequently a criminal aspect involved, which is why you must retain the services of an experienced California personal injury attorney who can help you navigate the complexities associated with drunk driving injury cases to achieve the best possible outcome on your behalf. Do not make the mistake of hiring just any attorney. Attorney O’Grady is here to help.

Dram Shop Laws in California

Many states have dram shop laws in place that essentially allow those injured by drunk drivers to potentially hold a third party responsible, such as an establishment that served the drunk driver alcohol in the first place. Generally, dram shop laws give the injured party the right to sue an establishment for serving alcohol to an individual either who is a habitual drunkard, or to someone who is already visibly intoxicated. However, this is not the case in California. Essentially, under most circumstances, those who have been injured by a drunk driver may not sue the party responsible for serving that individual alcohol unless the individual was a minor. If you can prove that the establishment either knew or should have known that the individual was a minor, served him/her anyway, and that person got in their car and injured you, then you may be able to successfully sue that establishment for your injuries.

Recovering Compensation After an Accident

When someone is injured in an accident, they oftentimes sue the liable party for two types of damages: economic and noneconomic. Essentially, economic damages consist of tangible damages, such as medical bills, lost wages, and more. On the other hand, noneconomic damages deal with compensation for things such as pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, emotional distress, and more.

Statute of Limitations

Every state has a statute of limitations in place when it comes to personal injury claims. Since the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in California is, generally, two years, you will, generally, have two years from the date of your accident to take legal action against the party responsible. Do not make the mistake of waiting any longer than two years, for if you do, you will most likely be time-barred from suing. Our firm is ready to begin the claims process on your behalf today. All you have to do is give us a call.

Contact a Santa Clara County Accident Attorney

The bottom line is that if you have recently been injured in an accident with a drunk driver in Santa Clara County, The Law Offices of Brian J. O’Grady is here to help. We know how painful this experience can be, both emotionally and physically, which is why it is our goal to, at the very least, make it painless financially. Contact The Law Offices of Brian J. O’Grady today for strong legal representation when you need it most. We are always here to help.