Do I need to have uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage in California?

paper car auto insurance

While driving, unfortunately, without knowing it, you pass at least one driver that is uninsured or inadequately insured. That said, many drivers wonder what measures they can take to protect themselves if they are hit by a driver who doesn’t have insurance or does not have enough coverage to pay for the damages or injuries they caused. In most states, motorists must carry a specific type of auto insurance known as uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage which protects them if they are injured in an accident under these circumstances. Keep reading to learn whether all drivers must carry uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage. In addition, contact our trusted Santa Clara County Car Accident Attorneys to discover how we can help you today. 

What is uninsured motorist coverage?

In most states, drivers are legally required to have uninsured motorist coverage. In other states, drivers must purchase uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. It is imperative to know what your state requirements are to ensure you are protected.

Following a car accident, the at-fault driver is usually liable for paying damages. If you are involved in an accident, and the at-fault driver does not have auto insurance, you may have to pay for your losses from the accident. Uninsured motorist coverage protects you in this scenario. This liability coverage will fill in the caps to cover your damages. In California, drivers are not legally required to carry uninsured motorist coverage. However, it is highly recommended that drivers have this type of insurance as it is worth the investment in the long run as it will protect you in an accident with an uninsured driver.

What is underinsured motorist coverage?

In California, drivers are not required to have underinsured motorist coverage. However, like uninsured motorist coverage, it is highly recommended as it can protect you if you are injured in an accident involving an inadequately insured driver. If you are injured in a car accident and burned with various economic and non-economic damages. In that case, the at-fault driver’s insurance policy may have a limit that leaves you without enough funds to pay the total cost of your losses. Underinsured motorist coverage would provide you with the additional funds you need to cover the remaining portion of your losses stemming from the collision.

It is critical to note that uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage only applies if the accident is not your fault, the at-fault driver does not have adequate coverage to pay for your injuries and damages, or you are the victim of a hit-and-run accident.

If you have been injured in an accident involving an uninsured or inadequately insured driver, contact a determined attorney from the Law Offices of Brian J. O’Grady today. Our firm is prepared to fight on your behalf to maximize your chances of recovering the just compensation you are entitled to.