What do I do if I’m Injured While Trick-or-Treating in California?

The holidays bring people together in many ways. Halloween, for example, invites people from all over the neighborhood to come onto the properties of others. While this is a fun and exciting tradition, it is important that all participants are careful. This is because accidents can occur if the property owner does not keep their grounds safe. If an injury is caused by negligence, the injured party can pursue legal action. Continue reading below to learn more and contact an experienced California personal injury attorney for help with your case.

How Can Property Owners Keep Their Grounds Safe?

All property owners in California are required by law to maintain their grounds. This is so that people who come on and off the property cannot be harmed due to negligence. That is why property owners should always take care of the land they own, especially during the Halloween season. This can be done by addressing any potential hazards or damages as well as providing adequate lighting before the day comes around. The failure to do so can result in accidents that could have been avoided.

Can I Sue a Homeowner for Injuries?

When a property owner’s negligence causes a trick-or-treating accident, it is important for injured parties to retain the services of an attorney who can help them. This is because injured parties are required to prove negligence in a lawsuit in order to be successful. This can be done by collecting evidence such as pictures of the hazard, medical documentation of the injuries, police reports, witness statements, and more.

What is the Statute of Limitations in California?

After an accident takes place, it is important to not wait too long to pursue legal action if you wish to do so. This is because there is a deadline on how long injured parties have to file a personal injury claim, otherwise they can lose their opportunity to do so and recover compensation. In the state of California, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims is two years.

Contact our Firm

When someone is wrongly injured in an accident, they often require financial compensation to heal. That’s where we come in. Contact the Law Offices of Brian J. O’Grady today to learn more about what our firm can do for you.