Car accidents are caused by many factors including poor behavior and weather conditions. If you were injured in a car accident recently due to no fault of your own, you may be eligible to recover compensation in a personal injury claim. To learn more, continue reading.
What are the top 5 most common causes of car accidents?
The top five most common causes of car accidents are as follows:
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving can be as simple as changing the radio station too many times or shuffling around in the center console of your car. Distractions can lead to serious accidents. It is important to always keep your full attention on the road and eliminate as many distractions as possible.
- Intoxicated driving: Alcohol is one of the leading causes of car accidents due to the fact that it will significantly affect a person’s ability to drive their car. Drinking and driving is never worth it and can result in severe legal penalties on top of destruction and suffering from accidents.
- Speeding: Speeding can turn a simple fender bender into a deadly car accident. Some crashes can be avoided altogether if it wasn’t for a speeding driver. Speeding decreases a driver’s ability to maintain control of their vehicle. It is important to abide by the speed limit at all times.
- Texting while driving: Using your phone while driving can result in serious, life-threatening car accidents that can result in severe injuries if not death. Our society has become more and more addicted to our devices which has played a huge part in car accidents over the past decade.
- Weather: When weather conditions are poor, this will increase your chances of getting into a car accident drastically. This includes ice, snow, rain, and wind. It is important to consider the weather before getting behind the wheel.
What is the statute of limitations for personal injury claims in California?
The statute of limitations for personal injury claims after a car accident is typically two years in California. This means that you will have two years from the exact date of your accident to take legal action against the negligent party who was responsible for causing your accident. This is important to understand because if you fail to file your claim within this time period, you may risk being permanently barred from suing. To begin this process, give our experienced personal injury attorney a call today. The sooner you bring attention to your claim, the better.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
When someone is wrongly injured in an accident, they often require financial compensation to heal. That’s where we come in. Contact the Law Offices of Brian J. O’Grady today to learn more about what our firm can do for you.