How do intersection camera recordings play into accident claims in California?

traffic camera

If you’ve been injured in a car accident and wish to file a claim, you should first understand that before you can recover any compensation for the damages you’ve incurred, you must prove someone else’s negligence caused the collision. Essentially, you must fulfill the burden of proof. To satisfy this requirement, you must collect evidence proving the other party’s negligence directly caused your injuries. For the most part, the at-fault driver will likely not admit blame, and individual statements may not be enough to prove your claim. Physical evidence, such as real-time video footage of the accident, is invaluable. If the accident happened at an intersection, there’s a good chance a traffic camera captured the incident. If you’ve been injured in a collision and believe a camera may have caught it, it’s in your best interest to contact our proficient Santa Clara County Car Accident Attorneys, who can help you obtain the footage. Please continue reading to learn how intersection camera recordings play into accident claims in California. 

Can intersection camera footage help me prove my accident claim in California?

If you’ve been involved in a car accident, an intersection camera may have recorded the events leading up to your accident and the accident itself. This hard evidence can help you demonstrate the carelessness of the other driver involved. For example, if the other driver ran a red light, this can show that their negligent actions were the cause of the collision. However, an intersection camera may not have captured the accident as it was designed to capture traffic violations. This means they mainly focus on license plate numbers. Nevertheless, traffic cameras are not the only source of surveillance footage. Many businesses and residential homes install surveillance cameras to monitor their premises. They may be angled to record nearby roads, which means they may have captured footage of the accident. Accessing this footage can be difficult as some people have their footage automatically deleted after a few days. Therefore, you must act fast.

Furthermore, California is a pure comparative neglgience state. This means that the court to allow injured parties to collect damages even if they are 99% at fault for an accident. Therefore, if you can prove the other party was even just 1% at fault for the cause of the accident you can seek compensation. Hard evidence such as intersection or private camera footage can help protray the other driver’s reckelss or careless actions.

If you or someone you love has been injured in a car accident, it’s in your best interest to enlist the help of an adept Santa Clara County car accident attorney from the Law Offcies of Brian J. O’Grady, who can help you fight for the maximum compensation that you may be entitled to for your losses. Our firm is prepared to represent your interests today.