Being prepared and understanding your options after being in a car accident in California is the best way to protect yourself and your loved ones. If you or someone you know has been wrongly injured in a car accident, reach out to our firm today to learn what we can do for you.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in California
We see many reasons for car accidents on the road each day. However, there is a list of driver negligent actions that are responsible for most commonly causing accidents in the state of California:
- Texting and driving
- Carelessly changing lanes
- Making illegal turns
- Driving under the influence
- Driving while tired
- Driving recklessly
- Ignoring traffic signs and lights
What to Do After a Car Accident
There are specific steps to take after getting in a car accident with your best interest in mind. In order of importance, these are a few important steps to take:
- Call the police. The authorities should be on the scene so that they can take care of any traffic problems as well as drafting an official report including statements from witnesses and even chemical tests if necessary
- Take pictures of the accident. Be sure to include any damage of the vehicles as well as any property involved.
- Seek medical attention for any injuries received in the accident. Even if you do not feel immediate symptoms of an injury, it is important to seek medical treatment in case symptoms later arise. It is important to obtain any medical documents including the date, time, and severity of your injuries.
- Reach out to an experienced personal injury attorney who will recover the compensation you deserve.
Statute of Limitations for Car Accident Injury Claims in California
You will have two years after your accident to file a personal injury claim in California. The statute of limitations is two years, meaning the opportunity to take legal action against the liable party begins the day of your accident and ends two years after this date. After this time period expires, it is likely that you will be time-barred from suing regarding this incident. Don’t wait. We want to help; reach out to our firm today to understand your options and to recover the compensation you deserve.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
When someone is wrongly injured in an accident, they often require financial compensation to heal. That’s where we come in. Contact the Law Offices of Brian J. O’Grady today to learn more about what our firm can do for you.