Unfortunately, supermarket accidents occur often. This may come as a surprise considering grocery shopping often feels like a mundane task. But, there are actually many ways to become injured in a supermarket. Read on to learn more about supermarket accidents in California and what to do in the event of an injury.
How do Supermarket Accidents Occur?
Supermarket accidents can occur for any number of reasons, but the most common causes include:
- Slip and fall accidents due to spills in aisles or restrooms left unattended
- Unstable displays
- Defective automatic entrance and exit doors
- Loose produce or items falling from shelves
- Spoiled food left for unsuspecting customers to purchase or sample
- Trip and fall accidents, often due to poorly placed (or missing) floor mats
What Should I do if I am Injured?
If you are injured in a supermarket, you will want to take the following steps;.
- If the situation warrants it, call 911 so you can be transported to the hospital for the treatment and documentation of any injuries sustained in the accident.
- While waiting for the ambulance, inform the store’s management that the accident occurred so they can file a report and they are not surprised when you take legal action against them. Obtain a copy of the report if possible.
- If you are able to do so, take pictures of the scene of the accident and collect the contact information of anyone who may have witnessed your accident.
- Contact an experienced personal injury attorney who can help you prove your claim and collect the compensation you are entitled to for the physical, emotional, and financial burdens caused by the accident.
How Long do I Have to File a Claim?
If you are recovering from a serious injury, taking legal action may be the last thing on your mind. But, it is imperative that you do not wait too long. If you fail to file your claim in time, you will most likely lose your opportunity to recover the compensation you deserve. This deadline is known as a statute of limitations. In California, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is generally two years from the date of the accident. You should contact a skilled personal injury attorney to ensure that you do not miss any important deadlines.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a supermarket accident, contact our firm today to speak with a dedicated personal injury attorney. We want to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
When someone is wrongly injured in an accident, they often require financial compensation to heal. That’s where we come in. Contact the Law Offices of Brian J. O’Grady today to learn more about what our firm can do for you.