Slip and fall accidents are incredibly common and their results can be severe. As a result, it is important to know what to do in the event that an accident occurs. Read on for more information regarding slip and fall accidents in California.
Where Do Slip and Falls Happen?
Slip and fall accidents are so common because they can occur anywhere, at any time. Unfortunately, it is easy to become injured during our day-to-day activities if the places we visit are not properly maintained. These locations often include:
- Parking lots
Something as simple as a spilled beverage on the floor or an uneven sidewalk can result in serious injury.
What Do I Do if I am Involved in an Accident?
If you are injured in a slip and fall accident, there are a few important steps you should take.
- Seek medical attention. It may be tempting to recover at home, but it is important to see a doctor. It is possible to sustain an injury without realizing it. Additionally, visiting the hospital, your doctor, or an urgent care clinic will allow you to document the origin and extent of your injuries. While at the hospital, make sure to ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Document the scene. One of the most important things you can do when it comes to a personal injury case is to take photos and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident.
- Obtain bystander contact information. If anyone saw your accident occur, you should obtain their contact information, they may be able to provide witness testimonies later on.
- Do not post on social media. It is important that you do not discuss your accident with anyone but the police, your doctors, and your attorney. Discussing your injury on social media or other public platforms can severely damage your case.
- Contact a skilled personal injury attorney. An experienced attorney may be able to gather further evidence, including security camera footage and police reports.
- File your claim on time. If you wish to pursue legal action, you will have to file your claim within a certain amount of time. This deadline is known as a statute of limitations. In California, the statute of limitations for a personal injury accident is generally two years.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip and fall accident in California, contact our firm today to speak with a dedicated personal injury attorney.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
When someone is wrongly injured in an accident, they often require financial compensation to heal. That’s where we come in. Contact the Law Offices of Brian J. O’Grady today to learn more about what our firm can do for you.