Bicycle accidents can lead to severe injuries that may impact an individual’s life long term. If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, you may be eligible to recover financial compensation. Continue reading and reach out to our experienced personal injury attorney to learn the steps you should take at the scene of your accident that will set you up for a successful claim.
What are the most common causes of bicycle accidents in California?
There are many factors that may lead to bicycle accidents. The most common cause of bicycle accidents in California are as follows:
- Navigating directions while driving
- Disciplining raucous children while driving
- Texting while driving
- Failing to yield
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Unsafe lane changes
- Driving while fatigued
- Smoking or eating while driving
- Not checking blind spots
- Ignoring traffic signs and lights
- Failing to comply with other rules and regulations of the road
What should I do following a bicycle accident?
It is important to have a plan after being injured in a bicycle accident. Take the following steps at the scene of your accident:
- Call 911. The police will bring an ambulance to the scene to treat any injuries sustained in your accident.
- The police will also document the accident by conducting a report.
- While you wait for the ambulance to arrive, if you can, collect any witnesses’ contact information. This should include their name, date, and the severity of your injuries.
- Take photos and videos of the scene of your accident. Document any hazards that played a part in your accident. Photograph any damage to vehicles and property involved.
- Seek medical treatment as soon as the ambulance arrives. Even if you do not immediately feel symptoms of an injury, it is important to be seen by a medical professional after an accident in case injuries arise later.
- Collect all medical documentation relating to your treatment.
- Retain the services of an experienced California personal injury attorney who will work to satisfy the burden of proof to recover the compensation you require to move on with your life.
What is the statute of limitations for personal injury bicycle accidents claims in California?
The statute of limitations for personal injury claims is generally two years in California. The statute of limitations is the time period you will have to bring attention to your personal injury claim. It is important that you file your claim within two years from the date of your accident to avoid being barred from suing. The sooner you take legal action, the better. Reach out to our experienced personal injury lawyer today to learn how we can assist you.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
When someone is wrongly injured in an accident, they often require financial compensation to heal. That’s where we come in. Contact the Law Offices of Brian J. O’Grady today to learn more about what our firm can do for you.