No one ever expects to sustain an injury while they are visiting a public place. When you visit a public place, you typically expect the property owner to abide by their legal obligation to exercise reasonable care. As this will prevent any accidents and injuries from occurring on the premises. However, oftentimes property owners neglect to maintain a safe environment for their visitors. If a property owner leaves a dangerous condition on the premises unattended or fails to display the proper signage alerting visitors to the hazardous conditions, they can be held liable for any damages that occur as a result of their negligence. If you have sustained an injury while visiting a public place, contact an experienced Santa Clara County Slip And Fall Accident Attorney who can help you seek financial compensation for your economic and noneconomic damages.
What steps should I take after sustaining an injury while visiting a public place?
If you sustain an injury while visiting a public place, you may wish to take legal action to recover financial compensation for your damages. In California, you have two years from the date of the accident to file a claim against a negligent party. However, you must fulfill the burden of proof. To do so, you must prove:
- The property owner owes you a duty of care.
- The property owner breached that duty of care.
- The property owner knew or should have reasonably known about the dangerous conditions on the premises and failed to remedy them.
- The property owner’s breach of duty of care directly caused your injuries and damages.
Furthermore, if you can prove the above, you may be awarded reasonable compensation for your damages. However, there are certain steps you should take to maximize your chances of receiving compensation for your damages. After this type of accident, you should:
- Seek medical attention. It is imperative to seek immediate medical attention even if your injuries seem minor to prevent any further damage.
- Keep track of all pertinent medical records. After your injuries have been examined and treated properly by a healthcare professional, you must keep track of your medical records. Your medical records will help you prove the extent and severity of your injuries.
- Notify the appropriate parties. It is important to alert the property owner to the incident. This step will prevent other accidents and injuries from occurring.
- File a police report. Filing a police report will document the accident.
- Gather valuable information from the scene. If possible, capture pictures or video footage of the hazardous conditions on the premises that caused your injuries.
- Collect any witnesses’ contact information. Witnesses are critical as they can recount pertinent details about the accident as well as corroborate your claim.
- Retain the legal services of a skilled Santa Clara County slip and fall accident attorney. It can be difficult to navigate the complexities of a premises liability claim which is why it is important to have the right legal representation. An attorney can help you investigate the circumstances of the accident. In addition, they can help you understand your legal options.
In the unfortunate event that you have been injured in a public place, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with one of our qualified attorneys. Our firm is committed to helping our clients get the justice they deserve.