Bus accidents do not happen incredibly often, but when they do, they can be severe. It is important to know what to do in the event of an accident so you can help yourself and other passengers around you. Read on to learn more about bus accidents in California and what to do in the event of an injury.
Common Causes of Bus Accidents
Bus accidents can be caused by a number of factors. Like any other vehicle on the road, there is a risk when it comes to things like weather and irresponsible drivers. Some of the most common causes of bus accidents include:
- Bus driver negligence
- Failure to maintain the bus
- Dangerous drivers on the road
- Poor weather conditions
What Should I do if I am Involved in a Bus Accident?
If you are involved in an accident, there are some important steps to take in order to make sure that you and other passengers are safe. Additionally, these steps may help you file a personal injury claim later on.
- Call 911. It is important to seek medical attention. Even if you do not believe you are injured, it is possible to have sustained an injury that appears later on. Additionally, other passengers may be injured and will need medical help.
- While waiting for the police and the ambulance, you should document the scene. It is always important to take photos and videos.
- Swap contact information with other passengers. This can help if you need someone to corroborate your version of events during a personal injury case.
- When at the hospital, ask the doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documentation.
- Hire a skilled personal injury attorney. If you are involved in an accident, you may suffer physically, mentally, and financially. A dedicated attorney will help you fight to recover the compensation you deserve. Additionally, an attorney may be able to gather further evidence for your case. For example, security footage or police reports.
- Make sure to file your personal injury claim on time. In California, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is generally two years from the date of the accident. Failing to file on time will mean losing your chance at recovering compensation.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bus accident in California, contact our firm today to discuss your case with a skilled attorney.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
When someone is wrongly injured in an accident, they often require financial compensation to heal. That’s where we come in. Contact the Law Offices of Brian J. O’Grady today to learn more about what our firm can do for you.