Staying in hotels is often fun and relaxing. For the most part, you are likely planning your sightseeing trips or considering what to order from room service. But, if not properly maintained, hotels can be dangerousl. As a result, hotel staff is required to regularly monitor the property for potentially dangerous safety hazards. If they fail to do so and someone is injured, accidents can occur that cause serious injuries. If you are injured due to hotel staff negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. Read on to learn more about hotel accidents in California.
How Do Hotel Accidents Occur?
Hotels have lots of amenitites, such as pools, spas, gyms, restaurants, and more. While this can make your stay more enjoyable, it can also make things more dangerous. If these amenities are not properly maintained at all times, serious accidents can occur. There are several ways an accident can happen in a hotel, including the following:
- Stairwell accidents
- Elevator/escalator accidents
- Defective equipment
- Unsanitary conditions
- Unsafe buildings and walkways
- Swimming pool accidents
- Food poisoning
- Inadequate security
What Do I Do After an Injury Occurs?
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. To recover the compensation you deserve, you should:
- Document the scene. One of the most important things you can do is take photos and videos at the scene of the accident. Make sure to document the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Seek medical attention. It is important to go to the hospital, your doctor, or an urgent care facility. This will help ensure that your injuries are treated properly, while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries.
- Obtain witness contacts. If someone saw the accident occur, ask for their phone number or email address. They may be able to corroborate your version of events.
- Reach out to a personal injury attorney. A skilled attorney may be able to collect further evidence, including police reports and security footage.
- File your claim on time. If you wish to pursue legal action, you will have to do so within a certain amount of time. In California, the statute of limiations for a personal injury claim is generally two years.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a hotel accident in California, contact our firm today to speak with an experienced attorney.
CONTACT OUR FIRM
When someone is wrongly injured in an accident, they often require financial compensation to heal. That’s where we come in. Contact the Law Offices of Brian J. O’Grady today to learn more about what our firm can do for you.